Thursday, October 23, 2014

The 2014 Australian Catholic University Pixel Prize


Each year the Australian Catholic University (ACU) runs a photographic competition in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Mauritius and Australia called the “Pixel Prize”. This year the theme was “Visions of friendship”. We were able to submit a maximum of three photographs that we felt best expressed this theme. Over the course of about a month (the deadline being the 1st of August) I set out and about the streets of Colombo searching for scenes I felt best captured this. This challenged me as a photographer. Normally, I just go out and photograph moments I see but this time I had to abide by a theme. I ended up submitting three photographs and actually came out with 1st place, winning a 35,000 rupee voucher to a camera supply store. On top of developing my photographic skills, I also had to do some research into the ethics of street photography, which is largely concerned with getting consent. To obtain this I got verbal consent with the parents of the children. One of the more rewarding parts of this competition was that I actually printed off some of the photos I took, went back to the families of the children and gave them to them. They were so excited and happy about this, it was a really touching experience. Here are the three images I submitted:



No comments:

Post a Comment