Wednesday, November 19, 2014

SAISA swim competition!!

I have just come back from the 2014 saisa swim competition which was held in Chennai in India. I had a lot of fun, but i also learnt a lot too. For me, this is pretty much the first real sporting competition that I've ever been a part of that wasn't basketball, and to top that, the first time I've competed and been at the bottom end of the talent pool. So because winning was well out of my reach, this swim comp was all about achieving personal bests for me. Another new experience was competing in an individual sport. I'm so used to team environments and so this was a very foreign thing for me.

Even though i didn't place or win any medals, i am really proud with how i swam at the competition. I shed time of EVERY one of my personal bests by at least 5 seconds!! I even shed off as much as 14 seconds for my 100m individual medley!

I believe i achieved the following learning outcomes as a result in my participation in the swim season :

1. Increased awareness of my own personal strengths and areas for growth.
As swimming was something new to me, I really head to spend time learning where my strengths and weaknesses were in the pool and work out where there was room for improvement

2. Undertaken new challenges
Again, it was a first time for a lot of things. My first time swimming, first time at an individual sport and the first time where it was a sport that I didn't excel

3. Shown perseverance and commitment
Even when things got tough and the training load was heavy, dropping swimming wasn't an option. I knew there was a lot of opportunity for me to learn from this experience and I so I kept going

4. Developed new skills
I think I learnt a lot about independence and accountability through swimming. I was in charge of the outcome of the season and was in full control of how I handled myself



No comments:

Post a Comment