Thursday, November 20, 2014

SAISA basketball

Now that the swim season has come to a close, it is time to pick up season 2 of SAISA sport at school. This season I will be playing on the basketball team who will compete in the SAISA competition scheduled for next February, here at our very own school!

I have played basketball for the last 10 years, it is something I absolutely adore and cannot wait to play again. I have had a lot of experience back in Australia with basketball, I have competed in 5 consecutive national championships and received back to back national intensive training scholarships. I was even training on with my state's WNBL (women's national basketball league) squad for a few months when I was 16. However, due to some really tough episodes of depression last year, I quit basketball- refusing to play for a goof 6 months. This basically ruined any chance of me making it in the big leagues as a professional. But you know what, that's okay. Since the age of 7 I haven't had a weekend where I wasn't at the stadium and so taking that time off last year allowed me to really grow as a individual. Forever, basketball had been so engrained in my identity and so it was really exciting to explore other talents I have such as photography.

But ANYWAY, back to the point- SAISA basketball...

This season my main goal is probably to become captain. Leadership, especially within basketball is something I have always enjoyed and it may be my only chance to take up some sort of leadership role during my time at the OSC. It will also add an extra challenge to the season for me. I already have the skills to play but captaining is a whole new story. It will challenge me to persevere and commit to the team, deal with issues and of course to work collaboratively with others.

I am very excited to see what this season has install for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment